Mukti M. Rana Ph.D
Department of Physics and Engineering and
Optical Science Center for Applied Research (OSCAR)
Delaware State University
1200 N. DuPont Highway, Dover, DE 19901
mrana [at] desu.edu
Dr. Mukti Rana received his B.Sc. in Electrical and Electronics Engineering from Khulna University of Engineering (KUET), Bangladesh (1992-1997) and his M.S. (2000-2002) and Ph.D. (2003-2007) from The University of Texas at Arlington (UTA) in Electrical Engineering. He worked as Graduate Teaching Assistant and Graduate Research Assistant in the Department of Electrical Engineering of UTA. He performed his graduate research under Professor Donald Butler on properties of radio frequency sputtered GexSi1-xOy thin films for uncooled infrared detection. He also designed, fabricated and tested microbolometers using GexSi1-xOy thin films as sensing layers. He worked as a post-doctoral research associate under Professor Zeynep Celik-Butler between 2007-2008 on Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation Administration by using tactile sensors based on poly-silicon thin films. In fall 2008, Dr. Rana joined as Assistant Professor in the Department ment of Electrical and Computer Engineering of University of South Alabama, Mobile. In 2010, he joined in the Department of Physics and Engineering and Optical Science Center for Applied Research (OSCAR) of Delaware State University. His current research interest includes microsensors, uncooled infrared detectors, applications of electrical technologies for bio-gas production and environmental monitoring, and microelectromechanical system (MEMS) devices. He has published more than 20 refereed journal articles and conference presentations. Dr. Rana is a member of the IEEE and the founding student advisor of IEEE student branch at Delaware State University.
- ENGR 210 - Combinational Logic Design
- ENGR 211 - Sequential Logic Design
- ENGR 340 - Solid State Electronics
- PHYS 444 - Special Topics (Power System Analysis)
- ENGR 309 - Electronic Circuit Analysis
- ENGR 205 - Electrical Circuit Analysis
- ENGR 403 - Introduction to MEMS
- “Acquisition of a Photomask Aligner for Design and Fabrication of Uncooled Thermal Detectors for Research and Education Training of Students at Delaware State University”, US Department of Defense, Award Period: 09/2017-08/2019, $214,600, Role: PI.
- “Establishment of NASA-MIRO Optics for Space Technology & Applied Research Center (O*STAR Center) at Delaware State University”, NASA, Award Period: 09/2015-08/2020, $5 Million, Role: PI.
- “Design and Fabrication of Uncooled Thermal Detectors – An Approach to Use Nanomachining Technology at an HBCU By Involving African American Engineering Students in Research and Education Training”, US Department of Navy, $359,653, Role: PI
- “MRI: Acquisition of a Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM) for Multidisciplinary Research and Education at Delaware State University”, National Science Foundation, Award Period: 09/2014-08/2017, $501,000, Role: PI.
- “Center for Research and Education in Optical Sciences and Applications: Promoting Scientific Discoveries, Technological Advances, and STEM Education”, NSF, Award Period: 08/2012-09/2017, $5 Million, Role: PI
- “Development of ETAP Power Lab for Teaching Power Systems at DSU”, In kind Donation from Operation Technology Inc., July, 2013 - June 2016, In kind value $320,000, Role: PI.
- “Development of Nanofiber Membrane In-Situ Electroporation Devices for Pharmaco-Genomics Anticancer Drug Screening”, Role PI, NIH INBRE, Period 06/2012-01/2014, $238,000.
- “Ultra Low Power InAsN Semiconductor Transistors Phase IIA”, SBIR partnership with QuantTera Semiconductor, National Science Foundation, Award Period: 02/2014-07/2014, $65,052.
- “Next-Generation Sensors for Improving Human Health and Urban Air Quality: A Technology-Driven Business Model for Young Entrepreneurs.” Role: Co-PI, DSU PRIDE, Award Period: 09/2013-08/2014, $20,000.
- “Integrated Micro-mirrors and Microbolometer for Mid- and Long-Wave Infrared Detection”, Role: PI, NASA, Award Period: 06/2013-08/2013. $3,500.
- “US-Mexico International Collaborative Program on Photothermal Imaging and Photothermal Microscopy”, Role: Co-PI, NSF, Award Period: 04/2012-03/2013, $28,600.
- “Design of a Tunable Microbolometer for Mid and Long Wave Infrared Detection”, Role: PI, NASA, Award Period: 06/2012-08/2012. $3,500.
- “Design of a Tunable Integrated Micromirror for Mid and Long Wave Infrared Detection”, Role: PI, NSF, Award Period: 06/2012-08/2012. $4,000.
- Travel Allowance to Johannesburg to Attend South African National Research Foundation PhD Project Meeting, NSF, August 2012, Full Travel Expenses for myself and two graduate students, $20,000.
- “Nanomachined Pyroelectric Detector- Design and Concepts”, CREST Supplement PI, NSF, Period 9/2011-8/2012, $100,000
- “Resistivity Imaging and Laser Induced Breakdown Spectroscopy (LIBS) Analysis for Solid Waste in The Laboratory”, Role PI, NSF CIBER EPSCoRE RII-2, Period 02/2011-01/2012, $30,000.
Journal, Conference and Technical Papers
23. “In-situ moisture content measurement of fresh municipal solid waste by Wenner resistivity method”, Sams S. Farhana, Jebari S. Weekes, Noureddine Melikechi, Sahadat Hossain, Daniel A. Fluman and Mukti M. Rana; Journal of Solid Waste Technology and Management, volume 42, no 3, August, 2016.
22. “Design and simulation of pyroelectric detectors with nanometer size spider-web for low thermal conductance”, Md A. Muztoba, Noureddine Melikechi, Mukti M. Rana; Journal of Microsystem Technologies, DOI10.1007/s00542-015-2706-1, October 2015.
21. “Determination of Metals in Leachate by Laser-Induced Breakdown Spectroscopy”, Sams Farhana, Jebari Weekes, Sahadat Hossain, Noureddine Melikechi, Daniel Fluman, and Mukti M. Rana, Journal of Solid Waste Technology and Management, Vol 40, no 3, July 2014.
20. “Towards Optimal Classifier Of Spectroscopy Data”, David D. Pokrajac, Poopalasingam Sivakumar, Yuri Markushin, Daniela Milovic, Mukti Rana, Gary Holness, Jinjie Liu, and Noureddine Melikechi; 1st International Conference on Electrical, Electronic and Computing Engineering, IcETRAN 2014, June 2-5, 2014, Vrnjačka Banja, Serbia.
19. “Electroporation Using Interdigitated Electrodes For DNA Delivery”, Anupama Bhat, Kurt Deixler, Chantell Gissendaner, Mukti Rana and Dula Man, NIH, NIGMS Fifth Biennial National IDeA Symposium of Biomedical Research Excellence (NISBRE), Washington DC, June, 2014.
18. “Design of a Nano-machined Pyroelectric Detector for Low Thermal Conductance”, Md Muztoba, Noureddine Melikechi and Mukti Rana, Proceedings of SPIE, vol 9070, pp. 90701V-1 -7, June 24, 2014, doi: 10.1117/12.2053466.
17. “Rectifying and Schottky Characteristics of a-SixGe1-xOy with Metal Contacts”, Md A. Muztoba, D. P. Butler and Mukti M. Rana, Canadian Journal of Physics, pp. 1-5, June 30, 2014, doi: 10.1139/cjp-2013-0614.
16. “Nanomachined Pyroelectric Detector with Low Thermal Conductance - Design and Concepts”, Md Muztoba, Noureddine Melikechi, Donald P. Butler and Mukti M. Rana”, Proceedings of IEEE Sensors Conference, Baltimore, October, 2013.
15. “Design of a nano-structured pyroelectric detector with low thermal conductivity”, Md A. Muztoba, D. P. Butler, N. Melikechi and Mukti M. Rana, In the 25th International Conference on Amorphous and Nano-crystalline Semiconductors, August 18-23, 2013 Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
14. “Moisture Content Measurement in Fresh Municipal Solid Waste by Four Point Probe Method”, Sams Farhana, Jebari Weekes, Sahadat Hossain, Noureddine Melikechi, Daniel Fluman and Mukti M. Rana, The Twenty-Eighth International Conference on Solid Waste Technology and Management, Philadelphia, PA, March 10-13, 2013
13. “Characteristics of Delaware’s Municipal Solid Waste for Bio-Gas Production”, Sams Farhana, Jebari Weekes, Mukti M. Rana, Sahadat Hossain, Noureddine Melikechi and Dan Fluman, In the Proceedings of the Twenty-Eighth International Conference on Solid Waste Technology and Management, Philadelphia, PA, March 10-13, 2013.
12. “Waste to Energy Conversion in a Bioreactor Landfill-Perspective Bangladesh”, Energy and Power, 4th Issue, August 2012.
11. Pyroelectric Modified Lead Titanate Thin Films for Uncooled Infrared Detection, M. Ahmed, D. P. Butler, Mukti M. Rana and N. Melikechi, IEEE 2012 International Conference on Optical MEMS and Nanophotonics, August 2012.
10. Hussein P. Oloomi, Mohammad S. Alam and Mukti M. Rana, “Noise Performance Evaluation of Uncooled Infrared Detectors”, IEEE Sensors Journal, April, 2010.
9. Mukti M. Rana and Donald P. Butler, “Noise sources of a-Si1-xGexOy Bolometer and their Reduction by Forming Gas Passivation,” 20th International Conference on Noise and Fluctuations, Pisa, Italy, June 14th-19th, 2009.
8. Mukti M. Rana and Donald P. Butler, “Noise Behavior of Si1-xGexOy Bolometer and its Reduction by Forming Gas Passivation,” Thin Solid Films, vol. 516, issue 18, July, 2008, Pages 6499–6503.
7. Mukti M. Rana and Donald P. Butler, “High Responsivity a-SixGe1-xOy:H Microbolometers,” IEEE Sensors Journal, vol. 7, no. 10, October, 2007, Pages 1413-1419.
6. Mukti M. Rana and Donald P. Butler, “Amorphous SixGe1-xOy:H Microbolometers with High Responsivity,” Sixth IEEE Conference on Sensors, Atlanta, GA, October 29, 2007.
5. Mukti M. Rana and Donald P. Butler, “RF Sputtered Si1-xGex and Si1-xGexOy Thin Films for Uncooled Infrared Detectors,” Thin Solid Films, Volume 514, Issues 1-2, August, 2006, Pages 355-360.
4. Mukti M. Rana and Donald P. Butler, “Amorphous GexSi1-x and GexSi1-xOy Thin Films for Uncooled Microbolometers,” SPIE Defense and Security Conference, Orlando, FL, March, 2005.
3. Mukti M. Rana and Donald P. Butler, “Uncooled Si0.135Ge0.85O0.015:H Microbolometers,” TexMEMS VIII conference, University of Texas at Dallas, Dallas, TX, October, 2006.
2. Mukti M. Rana and Donald P. Butler “SixGe1-xand SixGe1-xOy Thin Films for Microsensors Applications,” IEEE Emerging Technology Conference, Dallas, TX, October, 2004.
1. Mukti M. Rana and Donald P. Butler, “SixGe1-xand SixGe1-xOy Thin Films for Microbolometer Applications,” TexMEMS VI conference, Texas A & M University, College Station, TX, September, 2004.
Book and Book Chapter
1. “Uncooled Infrared Detectors – Applications and Current Status”; Mukti M Rana and Nibir Dhar, In Preparation, Taylor and Francis, Expected: May 2017
2. Mukti M. Rana and D.P. Butler, “Applications of RF Sputtered GexSi1-xOy And GexSi1-xOy Thin Films for Uncooled Infrared Detectors”, Mukti M. Rana and Donald P Butler, ISBN: 978-1-61324-357-2-2011, Nova Science Publishing, 2011
3. In Germanium: Properties, Production and Applications edited by Regina V. Germanno, Applications of RF Sputtered GexSi1-xOy And GexSi1-xOy Thin Films for Uncooled Infrared Detectors, Mukti M. Rana and Donald P Butler, ISBN: 978-1-61209-205-8, Nova Science Publishing, 2012.
1. “Inspired By Nature – A Spider Web Design for Reducing Thermal Conductance of Uncooled Infrared Detectors and Current Research Opportunities at DSU”, The College of New Jersey, NJ, January, 2015
2. “Integration of Research and Education – Perspective from Physics and Engineering Department at an HBCU”, Muhlenberg College, Allentown, PA, January, 2015
3. “Opportunities for High School Students at OSCAR”, Delaware Science Olympiad, Spring 2015.
4. “Nanotechnology, How Small is Small?”, Capital School District Science Night, Dover, Delaware, 2013
5. “Research Opportunities at Optical Science Center for Applied Research (OSCAR) and Department of Physics and Engineering, Delaware State University”, Invited Seminar Speaker at International University of Business Agriculture and Technology, Dhaka, Bangladesh, January 17, 2013.
6. “Current PhD. Research Opportunities at Optical Science Center for Applied Research of Delaware State University, Dover, Delaware”, Invited Seminar Speaker at South African PhD conference at Johannesburg, South Africa on August 29, 2012.
7. “Current Research on Electrical Properties of Municipal Solid Waste and Infrared Detectors at Delaware State University”, Invited Seminar Speaker at CICATA Institution, Mexico city, Mexico, May 29, 2012.
8. “Turning Trash into Gold”, Q.E.D Natural Science Symposia Series, Delaware State University, Spring 2012.
9. “Linking Course Reports for MSCHE Accreditation” Delaware State University, Spring 2012.
10. “Outcome Based Assessment of Courses for Accreditation”, Department of Mathematical Sciences, Delaware State University, Fall 2011.
11. “How to Prepare Course Reports for Accreditation”, Computer Information System, Delaware State University, Spring 2011.
12. “SixGe1-xOy – A New Material for Infrared Sensing,” Joint IEEE Mobile and Student Section, Mobile, AL, April, 2010.
13. “Thin Films of Si and its Compounds for MEMS Applications,” College of Engineering, University of South Alabama, Mobile, AL, May, 2009.
14. “Review of Micromachined Pressure Sensors,” Joint IEEE Mobile and Student Section, Mobile, AL, September, 2008.
Non Refereed Symposium Presentations/Papers
1. “Design and Fabrication of Photomask for Pyroelectric Thin Films”, Andrew Voshell and Mukti M Rana, Presented at the 43rd annual honors day symposium, April, 2016.
2. “Using COMSOL and Intellisuite Finite Element Analysis Softwares to Design Photomask of Uncooled Infrared Detectors”, Melanie Tobey, Tylor Rembert and Mukti M Rana, Presented at the 43rd annual honors day symposium, April, 2016.
3. “Measurement Platform for Device Characterization”and Mukti M Rana, Presented at the 43rd annual honors day symposium, April, 2016.
4. “Electroporation of HCT116-19 Cells Using Interdigitated Electrodes For DNA Delivery”, Anupama Bhat, Kurt Deixler, Chantell Gissendaner, Mukti Rana and Dula Man, Presented at the DSU Graduate Research Symposium, 2014.
5.“Characterization of Semiconducting Thin Films using LabView Data Acquisition Software”, Jebari Weekes and Mukti M. Rana, Presented at the 41st annual honors day symposium, April, 2014
6. “Design and Simulation of a Two Cavity Uncooled Infrared Detector”, Jason Owens and Mukti M Rana, Presented at the 41st annual honors day symposium, April, 2014.
7. “Determination of Trace Elements in a Bio-Reactor Landfill Leachate by Laser Induced Breakdown Spectroscopy”, S. Farhana, P. Sivakumar, J. Weekes, Mukti Rana, N. Melikechi, S. Hossain, D. Fluman, Poster Presentation, Energy and Life Sciences Solutions for Sustainability, University of Delaware, Newark, Delaware, March 05, 2013.
8. “Two Range Microboloment with Integrated Micro-mirrors for Infrared Detection”, J. Weekes, L. Campbell, J. Owens, K. Lucas, and Mukti Rana, Poster Presented at DSU Undergraduate Research Symposium, 2013.
9. “Assessment of Student Learning Outcomes in Department of Physics and Engineering by Both Direct and Indirect Measurement Methods”, Mukti M Rana and Amal Juracka, First Assessment Symposium at DESU, 2013.
10. “Applications of Electrical Technologies for Renewable Energy and Environmental Monitoring”, Sams Farhana, Jebari Weekes, Mukti M. Rana and Sahadat Hossain, Oral Presentation at Delaware State University Graduate Research Symposium, 2012.
11. “Design of a Microbolometer with Tunable Micro-mirror for Mid- and Long-Wave Infrared Detection,” L. Campbell, J. Weekes, C. Genright, M. Muztoba and Mukti Rana, Poster Presented at DSU Undergraduate Research Symposium, 2012.
12. “Design of an integrated thermal detector with micromirror”, J. Weekes, China Genwright and Mukti M Rana, DSU honors day presentation 2012.
13. “Nanomachined Pyroelectric Detector Design”, Md. Muztoba, Mukti M Rana, Donald Butler and Noureddine Melikechi, Oral Presentation at Delaware State University Graduate Research Symposium, 2012.
14. “Characteristics of Municipal Solid Waste in Delaware for Biogas Production”, Jebari Weekes, Sams Farhana, Mukti M. Rana and Sahadat Hossain, Oral Presentation at Delaware State University Undergraduate Research Symposium, 2011.
Professional Activities and Scholarly Services
- Middle State Commission on Higher Education
- National Science Foundation Proposal Reviewer/Panelist
- Sensors & Actuators: A. Physical, Elsevier Publications, UK
- Thin Solid Films, Elsevier Publications, UK
- Infrared Physics and Technology, Elsevier Publications, UK
- International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Operations Management
- Journal of IET Circuits, Devices and Systems
Professional Society Memberships
- Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE)
- Member, American Physical Society (APS)
- Member, Eta Kappa Nu
Service to the Department - Serving as Chairman
- Assessment Committee of DPE
Other Service to the University - Serving as a Member
- Faculty senate teaching effectiveness committee
- Institutional Effectiveness Committee
Served in the Following Committees as Member
- Post-doctoral Hiring Committee (2010-2011)
- OSCAR Managing Director Hiring Committee (2010-2011)
- Optics Building Construction Committee (2011-2012)
- VP for Research, Innovation and Economic Development Hiring Committee (2011-2012)
- Chemistry Faculty Hiring Committee (2011-2012)
- Physics Faculty Hiring Committee (2011-2012)
- Director of DSU Imaging Facility Hiring Committee (2011-2012)
- Member, DPE Open House Delegation (Fall 2010 and Spring 2011)
- Member, DPE By Laws Committee (Summer 2012)
- University Admissions Committee (2012-2014)
Services Provided to the Community
- Judge for Science Far in Sussex County, Delaware (2011 - Present)
- Board Member, Delaware Academy of Science (2013-2015)
Laboratory for Optical Sensing and Energy Conversion
- Uncooled Infrared Detectors
- Electroporation Chips for Drug-Delivery and Genomics
- Pathogen Detection
- 1. Nicholas Calvano, PhD. in Optics
- Phillip Chrostoski, PhD. in Optics
- Wayne Manrakhan, PhD. in Optics
- Keesean Braithwaite
- Andrew Voshell
- Bakare O’Neil
- Daemar Casey
- 1. Md A Muztoba, MS in Applied Optics, Graduation Date: Fall 2013
- Sams Sabiha Farhana, MS in Applied Optics, Graduation Date: Fall 2013
- Anupama Bhat, PhD. in Optics
- Linnea Davis
- Sparkle Smith
- China Genright
- Louis Campbel
- Jebari Weekes
- Jason Owens
- Daniel Cabajaro
- Kiemiyah Mond
- Tatiana DeAngelo
- Justin Davis
High School Students
- Carey Lucas
- David John